Integrals - Test Papers

 CBSE Test Paper 01

Chapter 7 Integrals


  1. ∫1ex+1dx is equal to 

    1. log (1+e−2x)+C
    2. log⁡(e−2x−2x)+C
    3. – log(1 + e-x) + C
    4. log⁡(e3x+x)+C
  2. The functionf(x)=∫0xlog⁡(t+1+t2)dt is 

    1. an odd function
    2. an even function
    3. Neither odd nor Even
    4. a periodic function
  3. ∫0π/2log⁡|cos⁡x|dx is equal to 

    1. −π2log⁡2
    2. πlog 2
    3. π2log⁡3
    4. −π3log⁡3
  4. ∫ablog⁡xxdx is equal to 

    1. log(b−a)b−a
    2. log (a+b).log (b–a)
    3. log⁡(ab).log(ba)
    4. 12log⁡(ab).log(ba)
  5. If ∫f(x) dx = f (x), then 

    1. f(x) = ax
    2. f (x) = x
    3. f(x) = 0
    4. f(x)=ex
  6. The function A(x) denotes the ________ function and is given by A (x) = ∫axf(x)dx.
  7. The indefinite integral of 2x12 is ________.
  8. The indefinite integral of 2x2 + 3 is ________.
  9. Show that ∫2x+3x2+3xdx=log⁡|x2+3x|+C. 

  10. Evaluate ∫0111−x2dx. 

  11. Evaluate ∫sin3⁡xdx. 

  12. Evaluate the definite integral ∫0π4(2sec2x+x3+2)dx. 

  13. Integrate the following function 17−6x−x2. 

  14. Integrate the function (x2 + 1) log x 

  15. ∫0π/4sin⁡xcos⁡xcos4x+sin4xdx. 

  16. Evaluate ∫1−sin⁡x1+cos⁡xe−x2dx. 

  17. Evaluate ∫01xlog⁡(1+2x)dx 

  18. Evaluate ∫13(2x2+5x)dx as a limit of a sum. 

CBSE Test Paper 01
Chapter 7 Integrals


Solution

    1. –log(1 + e-x) + C, Explanation: ∫e−x1+e−xdx=−∫−e−x1+e−xdx=−log⁡(1+e−x)+C
    1. an even function, Explanation: t = -u
      f(-x) = ∫0xlog⁡(−u+1+u2)(−du)
      = −∫0πlog⁡(1+u+u21+u2+u)(−du)
      = ∫0xlog⁡(u+1+u2)du = f(x)
      ⇒ f(-x) = f(x) ⇒ f is an even function
    1. −π2log⁡2, Explanation: ∫0π/2log⁡|cos⁡x|dx
      =∫0π/2log⁡|cos⁡(π2−x)|dx
      =∫0π/2log⁡|sin⁡x|dx
      =−π2log⁡2(standard result)
    1. 12log⁡(ab).log(ba), Explanation: =∫ab(logx)1(1x)dx
      (letlogx=tthen1xdx=dt)
      =[(logx)22]ab
      =12[(logb)2−(loga)2]
      =12(logb+loga)(logb−loga)
      =12log⁡(ab)log⁡ba
    1. f(x)=ex, mExplanation: ddx(f(x))=f(x)
      It implies that the function remains same after integrating or differentiating it. So the function must be ex
  1. area
  2. 43x32+c
  3. =45x54+c
  4. Let I=∫2x+3x2+3xdx
    Put x2 + 3x = t
    ⇒ (2x + 3)dx = dt
    ∴I=∫1tdt=log⁡|t|+C
    = log |(x2 + 3x)| + C
  5. According to the question , I=∫0111−x2dx
    = [sin−1⁡x]01[∵∫ba11−x2dx=sin−1⁡(a)−sin−1⁡(b)]
    =sin−1(1)−sin−1(0)
    =sin−1⁡(sin⁡π2)−sin−1⁡(sin⁡0)
    =π2−0=π2
  6. Let I=∫sin3⁡xdx=∫3sin⁡x−sin⁡3x4dx [∵sin⁡3x=3sin⁡x−4sin3⁡x]
    =14∫3sin⁡xdx−14∫sin⁡3xdx
    =14(−3cos⁡x+cos⁡3x3)+C
  7. ∫0π4(2sec2x+x3+2)dx
    =2∫0π4sec2xdx+∫0π4x3dx+2∫0π41dx
    =2(tan⁡x)0π4+(x44)0π4+2(x)0π4
    =2(tan⁡π4−tan⁡0o)+(π4)44−0 +2(π4−0)
    =2(1−0)+(π4256)4+2π4
    =2+π41024+π2
    =π41024+π2+2
  8. ∫17−6x−x2dx
    =∫1−x2−6x+7dx
    =∫1−(x2+6x−7)dx
    =∫1−(x2+6x+9−9−7)dx
    =∫1−{(x+3)2−16}dx
    =∫1(16)−(x+3)2dx
    =∫1(4)2−(x+3)2dx
    =sin−1(x+34)+c
    [∵∫1a2−x2dx=sin−1xa]
  9. ∫(x2+1)log⁡xdx
    =∫(log⁡x)(x2+1)dx
    [Applying product rule]
    =log⁡x(x33+x)−∫1x(x33+x)dx
    =(x33+x)log⁡x−∫(x23+1)dx
    =(x33+x)log⁡x−13∫x2dx−∫1dx
    =(x33+x)log⁡x−13x33−x+c
    =(x33+x)log⁡x−x39−x+c
  10. I=∫0π/4sin⁡xcos⁡xcos4x+sin4xdx
    Dividing Numerator and Denominator by cos4x
    =∫0π/4sin⁡x.cos⁡xcos4xcos4xcos4x+sin4xcos4xdx
    =∫0π/4tan⁡x.sec2x1+tan4xdx
    =∫0π/4tan⁡x.sec2x1+(tan2x)2dx
    put tan2x=t
    2tan⁡x.sec2xdx=dt
    when x=0, t=0 and when x=π4 t=1
    ∴I=12∫01dt1+t2
    =12[tan−1t]01
    =12.π4=π8
  11. Given, I=∫1−sin⁡x1+cos⁡x⋅e−x2dx
    Let −x2=t⇒dx=−2dt
    I=∫1−sin⁡(−2t)1+cos⁡(−2t)et(−2dt) [∵x=−2t]
    =−2∫et1+sin⁡2t1+cos⁡2tdt[∵sin⁡(−θ)=−sin⁡θ and cos⁡(−θ)=cos⁡θ]
    =−2∫etcos2x+sin2x+2sinxcosx1+cos⁡2tdt[∵cos2x+sin2x=1,sin2x=2sinxcosx]
    =−2∫et((cos⁡t+sin⁡t)22cos2⁡t)dt[∵(a+b)2=a2+b2+2ab]
    =−2∫et(cos⁡t+sin⁡t2cos2⁡t)dt
    =−∫et(sec⁡t+tan⁡tsec⁡t)dt[∵1cosx=secx,sinxcosx=tanx]
    we know that , ∫et[f(t)+f′(t)]dt=etf(t)+C
    Now, consider f(t)=sec t
    then f′(t)=sec t tan t
    ∴I=etsec⁡t+C
    =−e−x/2sec⁡x2+C[∵t=−x2 and sec⁡(−θ)=sec⁡θ]
    I=−e−x/2sec⁡x2+C
  12. I=∫01xlog⁡(1+2x)dx
    =[log⁡(1+2x)x22]01−∫11+2x.2.x22dx
    =12[x2log⁡(1+2x)]01−∫x21+2xdx
    =12[log⁡3−0]01−[∫01(x2−x21+2x)dx]
    =12log⁡3−12∫01xdx+12∫01x1+2xdx
    =12log⁡3−12[x22]01+12∫0112(2x+1−1)(2x+1)dx
    =12log⁡3−12[12−0] +14∫01dx−14∫0111+2xdx
    =12log⁡3−14+14[x]01−18[log⁡|(1+2x)|]01
    =12log⁡3−14+14−18[log⁡3−log⁡1]
    =12log⁡3−18log⁡3
    =38log⁡3
  13. According to the question , I=∫13(2x2+5x)dx
    On comparing the given integral with ∫abf(x)dx, we get
    a = 1, b = 3 and f(x) =2x2 + 5x
    We know that , ∫abf(x)dx=limh→0⁡h[f(a)+f(a+h)+f(a+2h)+...+f(a+(n−1)h) ]...(i)
    where, h=b−an⇒nh=b−a  =3−1=2
    f(a) = f(1) = 2(1)2 + 5(1) = 2 + 5 = 7
    f(a+h) = f(1 + h) = 2(1 + h)2 + 5(1 + h) = 2 + 2h2 + 4h + 5 + 5h = 2h2+ 9h + 7
    f(a + 2h) = 2(1 + 2h)2 + 5(1 + 2h) = 2 + 8h2 + 8h + 5 +10h = 8h2 + 18h + 7
    so on
    f(a+(n-1)h) = f{1 + (n - 1)h} = 2{1 + (n - 1)h}2 + 5{1 + (n - 1)h}2 = 2 + 2(n - 1)2h2 + 4(n - 1)h + 5 + 5(n - 1)h = 2(n - 1)2h2 + 9(n - 1)h + 7
    On putting all above values in (i), we get
    ∫13(2x2+5x)dx=limh→0h[7 + (2h2 + 9h + 7) +(8h2 + 18h + 7).......+2(n - 1)2h2 + 9(n - 1)h + 7]
    On rearranging terms , we get
    =limh→0h[7 + 7+ 7........+ 7] + limh→0h[2h2 + 8h2+.........+2(n - 1)2h2] + limh→0h[9h + 18h +......+9(n -1 )h]
    =limh→07nh + limh→02h3[ 12 + 22 + 32 +.........+(n -1)2] +limh→09h2[ 1+ 2 +........+(n - 1)]
    =limh→0⁡7(2)+limh→0⁡2h3⋅n(n−1)(2n−1)6+limh→0⁡9h2⋅n(n−1)2[∵∑n=n(n+1)2,∑n2=n(n+1)(2n+1)6]
    =14+limh→0⁡nh(nh−h)(2nh−h)3+ limh→0⁡92⋅nh(nh−h)
    =14+2(2−0)(4−0)3+92⋅2(2−0)
    =14+163+18
    =42+16+543
    =1123 sq units.